Temptation is a difficulty for me. It's where we draw the line between what we want and what God tells us is what he wants, and as Christians, we should want too. "I really want to do this or that, but I was told not to. Well... it's not really that bad or dangerous... maybe they just weren't thinking about it when they told me not to touch that stove. They probably don't know to much about stoves anyway." And we touch the stove. What happens? We get burnt. Plain and simple. Sin will never become profitable.
Why? Sin does not come from God, it comes from Satan, and his only goal is to hurt you.
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8
But what if the temptation is just too strong? Because we can't help sinning then... right? Wrong.
- No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
So now we know that temptation is not from God, and that he will not allow any temptation from Satan to be too strong, so how can we fight temptation?
- Memorize bible verses. Be able to say them in your head when you find yourself being tempted.
- Don't put yourself in a compromising situation. If you don't feel comfortable with what is going on, or don't think God would approve, by all means get out of there. Always follow God's standards.
- Pray. God will always help you. He is strong enough.
- Think about the consequences. Let's face it, sin can be fun, at first. Think about what the consequences would be, if not here on this earth, then when you meet your Lord, the King of Kings!
- Punish yourself. If I fall into one of my bad habits, I slap myself. Yes, it doesn't hurt that badly, but it's still enough to give me a little jolt into thinking about if I really want to do this.
Always remember, God is with you! The King of the Universe is there to help you. You can do it!